Monday, February 20, 2012

a post from a proud mama



Luci's class hosted the "all-school meeting" on the Friday before Valentine's Day. Meetings are now held outside because of the fire, and it started raining right at the beginning of the meeting. We got pretty wet, but it was worth it. :)

Also, I've been meaning to share with you an email we received a week or so ago from Luci's teacher. I was so happy for my girl that it kind of made me want to cry. She is standing in the doorway to a whole new world of reading and writing. It's so exciting.

Hi Katia and Pete,

Today I encouraged the kids to try to spell words on their own in their journals. Generally, they tell me what they want to write, I write it on a post-it, and they copy it. While not everyone was willing to try to spell words independently, Lucia took an academic risk and went for it! She didn't just try a short two-word phrase either!!

Here is what she wrote: "A FERE IS FLIING OVR THE EOSHIN AND A GROP OF FIS" = a fairy is flying over the ocean and a group of fish

Pretty awesome use of phonics and really quite accurate!!!! Go Lucia! She asked for clarification on what letter makes the 'sh' sound.
I was really excited to see it, and wanted to share it with you.

Have a great night!
Love,


The awesomest teacher in the world who should be earning a million dollars a year! :)

No comments: