Friday, September 17, 2010

little seedling

This week I finally sent off the package full of goodies for Marisa and Baby Christina in Germany. (Marisa, if you're reading this, don't read any further!!!) Along with the handmade sweater, some baby toys, and a print from my etsy shop, I also sent some of what I consider to be can't-live-without items for a new mama: the moby wrap which little Beer Baby lived in for the first year or so of her life and this nursing tank which I still live in. And yes, a little hat to match the sweater. I decided to name it since I designed it myself by melding a few other patterns: Little Seedling Hat. It's as simple as can be. Here is the recipe, if you'd like to make one for a baby you know. (I used Malabrigo Twist which is a dream, but you could use any yarn of similar weight.)

-Cast on 57 stitches (sts) with sz 10 needles.
-Switch to sz 8 dpn’s (double-pointed needles).
-Seed stitch for 8 rows. (K1, P1 repeat to end of row then on subsequent rows, knit the purls, purl the knits)
-Stockinette stitch (knit all rows) to 3.5”.
-Row 1: K9, PM, K10, PM, K9, PM, K10, PM, K9, PM, K10, PM (PM=place marker)
-Row 2: (SM, K to marker, SM, K2TOG, K to marker) repeat 3x (SM=slip marker)
-Rows 3-4: Knit 2 rows
-Row 5: (SM, K2TOG, K to marker) repeat 6x
-Rows 6-7: Knit 2 rows
-Row 8: (SM, K2TOG, K to marker) repeat 6x
-Row 9: Knit 1 row
-Repeat rows 8 & 9 until 12 sts left, knit one row
-K2TOG 1 round removing markers (6 sts)
-K2TOG 1 round (3 sts)
-Break yarn and pull through 3 remaining stitches
OR maybe a few rows of i-cord

Since I was winging it, I wasn't sure about the fit, so I brought it to Luci's school last week and one of the other mama's let me borrow her 11 month old baby. It fit well and snuggly, so I would say this hat is a perfect 6-12 month size, and I do so love the shape. Just a touch of gnomeyness. (Yes, that's a word.) I am so happy with this little project. Not to mention that I knit most of it at the gym while walking briskly on the treadmill and talking on the phone at the same time. Hah! It's a wonder I didn't break my legs.

And of course, we packed up lots and lots of love and besitos along with the rest of it and mailed it off.

No comments: