Wednesday, April 04, 2012

gathering river + sky

Hi! We're back from our wonderful spring break. We had a fantastic trip. I haven't yet uploaded my photos, so I'll be back with those later, but in the meantime, have I officially shown you Weewee's completed birthday sweater?

I told you a little bit about my design process when it was in progress here. It's a combination of two patterns, Gathering Stripes and River Dress. The yarn is Cascade 220 Superwash Sport in the beautiful colorway Summer Sky Heather. Hence its poetic name, gathering river + sky. Most of these photos were taken a few weeks ago at the beach in Bolinas. It's not meant to be a dress - it's more of a tunic length I thought could go well with leggings and give her lots of room to grow into it - but you know how it goes at the beach even on a chilly day. She also took a little fall into some wet sand, so if the sweater looks dirty, that's because it was. ;-) I added the last photo so that you could see how I did the hems of the sleeves in grey. (Also, you can see how it looks with the neckline unbuttoned.) The bottom hem is in grey, too. I love that little detail! I really love this sweater.

I feel quite proud of this sweater and it's given me a lot of confidence in my ability to manipulate patterns and design just what I want. I'm really hoping that Luci's sweater, that I'm working on now which is also a hybrid of a couple patterns, turns out as well. Fingers crossed. This is the nerve-wracking part when you're many weeks into a project with no idea of whether or not it will fit. Gah! Just keep knitting...


(Ravelry notes)

1 comment:

churyl said...

absolutely gorgeous. seems as though the river and sky are dancing all over wee wee. the sweater and the girl are breathtaking.