

Last week Juliet reminded me that my knitting anniversary was coming up. It's today! Happy one year anniversary to me. It all started a year ago today at Nonna's house, while Pete was away in Vancouver for the month. That'll teach him to leave me on my own. ;) Juliet was curious about how many things I had knit during my first year. According to my ravelry notes, I have knit 25 projects, plus the scarf which was the very first thing that I made, and minus the 2 dresses that I cast on for and then abandonned, and plus a few articles of clothing for Leonard, who is now known as Pierre, by the way (much more French), since I often put several of his things under one listing. So that leaves us at a grand total of..... I dunno, a lot. It's hard for me to remember a time when I didn't have knitting in my life, and although the obsession has ebbed a little, it's still keeping me up too late most nights and I get a very uncomfortable shaky feeling if I don't have any knitting projects going, as well as the next one or three projects queued up. I love knitting. I really really love knitting. And I most especially love to see my girls dressed up in their mama-made knits looking adorable and cozy. So, here's to one year and we'll see where the next year takes me. I've gotten a bit addicted to making simple, perfect little sleeveless tops/tunics for the girls so I may need to break out again and challenge myself. Yesterday Lucia, very surly and accusingly, said to me "Mama, you never made me anything with sleeves!" And she's right. But, I've gotten lazy. Sleeves: been there, done that; they're a pain in the popo. So what does she want me to knit her? A dress with sleeves. Sheesh, I'll be knitting it for months. Plus, she is a very picky and demanding client. I almost had an anxiety attack at the knitting store with her yesterday as she picked BRIGHT pink yarn to go with BRIGHT purple, or FIRE ENGINE RED with BRIGHT BLUE. "I'm the one who has to wear it, mama." Yeah, but I'm the one who has to knit it. I'm sorry, I can not knit those colors. :) Last night, lord help me, I started designing a long-sleeve dress with pockets. It's just on paper for now, but I'm starting to get excited about perhaps creating my own custom knits. The ideas are swirling! There is a lot to learn there.
Anyway, I do go on! There will be another knitting post later today, if I have time, when I show and tell Alma-Lu's new sleeveless top. Thank you to Nonna for being my inspiration and for getting me started on this wonderful journey. Happy anniversary and happy knitting!






1 comment:
Most awesome. You should be so proud of yourself -- it's a really beautiful collection and the love that's knit into it all just glows.
Post a Comment