Sunday, July 03, 2011

papa peter's father's day cycling hat

Pattern: Kiddie Cadet
Yarn: Berroco Vintage Chunky
Size: XL

Pete asked me to knit him a bike-riding hat to wear under his helmet for his foggy summer commutes. He wanted it to be in the style of a cycling cap, something like this, but knit. I used leftover yarn from the star tweed vest and adapted the kid's pattern that I've used to make hats for the girls to fit Pete's big head. I don't know if it actually fits under his helmet, but he's been wearing it a lot and I think it looks really good. It was fun collaborating with him and he was very patient with the multiple fittings it took to get this just right. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and maybe one of these days, I'll knit one for myself. I'll add it to my very very long to-knit list.

Currently on my needles, a cardigan of my own hybrid design for Alma-Lu, using a few other patterns as inspiration and guidelines. It's been very confusing and challenging and fun to knit. Lots of math and figuring, and knitting and frogging, and more math and figuring, and then more knitting. Because you know, Alma-Lu just had to have a new cardigan for our trip to Europe. It's been the perfect thing for me to obsess over, rather than my worries and stresses about traveling alone with the girls (plus that pesky flying phobia.)

The good news, no the AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC news, is that Pete is coming, too, for a week. He'll meet us in Paris and then a few days later, we'll all take the train to Germany together and be together at Marisa and Stefan's wedding. It's a dream come true!

1 comment:

Helen said...

what??? When are you going?! I was thinking of coming to San Francisco in July but hullo I won't come if you aren't there...