Thursday, November 18, 2010

baby boom and wip's

Weesa took a big fall on Monday, smack into the bottom of the bed frame. She got a big, deep gash over her eyebrow that, oddly, hardly bled at all. I was a complete wreck, not knowing if I should take her to the hospital for stitches. I had the inspired thought to call Maria, my wonderful midwife, for advice and, thankfully, she answered the phone and said bring her over and I'll take a look. So I packed up the kids and drove over to her house and she took the most wonderful care of my baby, assured me that she didn't need to go to the hospital and fixed her up with some butterfly bandages. Then, she and her partner made us dinner and made us laugh and even played the ukulele and sang to us and it ended up being such a nice evening. Pete came over too when he got off work. Oh, the benefits of homebirth go on and on. :) One million thank you's to the best midwife ever. She also stopped over the next day when she was passing through the neighborhood to check on Alma-Lu. How great it she? I am so relieved and grateful to be able to say that Alma-Lu is just fine. She was so brave throughout the whole ordeal. She is such a sweet child, such a little love.

p.s. Here she is modeling and displaying some works in progress although neither is actually for her. I guess we know what color mama's loving these days.

1 comment:

UrbanCrunchyMama said...

Big gashes near the eye are tough ones. I didn't know what to do either, so we shlepped ourselves over the GG Bridge and saw Dr. Woodard at Pediatric Alternatives. Much less costly, traumatic, and time-consuming than a trip to the ER, but not quite as personal as a visit and dinner with your midwife. ;-)